Ilaje and Apoi communities are parts of communities that comprise Ondo State of Nigeria, West Africa. Ilaje and Apoi people are notable Yoruba speaking communities. It is important to state that Ilaje and Apoi communities shares common boundary as well as cultural values. They are among the three communities with similarities in language, food, music, clothing and many others.
Suffice to say that Ikale, Ilaje and Apoi communities have been economically resourceful to Ondo State, and Federal Republic of Nigeria at Large. While Ilaje and Apoi people predominately engage in fishing activities and as well contributed immensely to crude oil production in the nation. On the other hand Ikale community has for a long time been engaging in agricultural activities. Ikale community remains one of the major producers of Palm oil and Cocoa produce in Ondo State. The people of Ilaje are resourceful and dynamic and it shows in the various activities they do which include fishing farming and wood lodging.
They are predominantly Christians with Cherubim and Seraphim as majority. Hardly can you find a Mosque or traditional religious centers. The people are highly religious. Through the white missionaries that arrived in Ilaje land, a lot of people became adherents of Christianity. There were people who as Christians worshiped with the Cherubim and Seraphim Church of Zion, which situated its headquarters in Ugbo Nla. Apart from Christians from Cherubim and Seraphim Church, there are other Christians who are Anglicans and Jehovah witnesses.
This field which was carved from Arogbo Ijaw, was established in 2005 with Rev. & Mrs. Ogunsemore as Field Evangelists for two years, before another missionary couple was sent there. At present, there are 11 Churches, 6 Pastors and 7 lay leaders on the field.
People Groups in Focus: Ilaje and Apoi
- Regular Outreach programmes such as Film, medical, witnessing, crusade etc. At least 2 outreach programmes in a month.
- Establishment of regular Discipleship programmes and literacy classes in all the planted Churches.
- 2 new Churches in each of the 5 geographical areas of the field. 4 new auditoria for these Churches.
- Completion of the Mission House.
- Training of 4 indigenous Pastor, 2 from each tribes.
- Establishment of 3 Nursery and Primary Schools.
- The people mostly live on water and drinkable water is very expensive. Hence cost of living is high.
- Majority are illiterates
- Mosquito abound in the land
- There is perenial ethnic clash in this community. Let us continue to pray for God’s peace in their midst.
How can you Be Involved
- We need fund to establish community development programmes such as Clinic, adult education center, technical assistance center etc.
- There is need for the rebuilding of the Churches and Pastoriums that were burnt down during one of the ethnic clashes.
- We need as many life jackets as possible to be used by the missionary and other visitors who would visit our field and would have to travel on water for evangelism.
- Prayer points
- Let us pray that God should let his peace reign in these communities. The ethnics clash/wars has to stop so that our mission work can run smoothly.