HISTORY OF GLOBAL MISSIONS BOARD
Nigerian Baptists have a story to tell to the global world. The story is about Jesus Christ the light of the world, and His love for humanity. The Global Missions Board therefore is the channel through which the Nigerian Baptist Convention conveys the message of salvation to the entire world.
In 1953, a group of messengers who were attending the 40th Annual Session of the Nigerian Baptist Convention in Jos, passionately encountered, while journeying in a train, people who were half naked physically and presumably spiritually. Their passionate appeal for the Convention to commence a mission outreach among them was promptly accepted and approved.
Thus, in the same year in 1953, the Home and Foreign Mission Department was established and the first Mission Field was opened and commenced at once among the Unreached People in Shendam area, near Jos, in present day Plateau State. The Department launched forward to open its first Foreign Mission field in Sierra Leone, an English Speaking West African nation in 1961. The Home and Foreign Mission Department was reorganized in 1999 into the Global Missions Board with a further mandate to reach the entire world with the Gospel of light and love. The Mission Department relocated from Baptist Building in Oke-Bola, Ibadan to a facility in Total Garden, Oritamefa, Ibadan as an autonomous Board of the Nigerian Baptist Convention.