Awka is the capital of Anambra State, The city is located by the road, directly north of Port Harcourt in the center of the densely populated Igbo heartland in South East Nigeria. Strategically, Awka is located midway between two major cities in Northern Igboland, Onitsha and Enugu which has informed its choice as an administrative center for the colonial authorities and today as a base for the Anambra State government. Onitsha is also a city located on the eastern bank of the Niger River, in Nigeria’s Anambra State. A metropolitan city, Onitsha, is known for its river port, and as an economic hub for commerce, industry, and education. Traditional Onitsha consists of nine villages, otherwise known as Ebo Itenani.
Christianity is the main religion of the people although many also retain belief in their traditional religion which encompases many similar traditions and values as noted by G.T. Basden. The Anglicans were the first missionaries in Onitsha in 1857. Later came the Catholics in 1884. They also indulge in the worship of their traditional gods. Islam is practiced in the city by people from Northern and Western Nigeria.
Over time, the town became famous for metal work of a high level and its blacksmiths were prized throughout the region for making farming implements, Dane guns and ceremonial items such as Oji (staff of mystical power) and Ngwuagilija (staff of Ozo men).
The people today as in ancient time are well travelled. In ancient times demand for their skills as blacksmiths had Awka people travelled throughout Nigeria making farming implements, household tools and guns.
Awka/Onitsha area was declared a home mission field in the year 2000. So far, 3 Missionaries have served on the field. The fouth and present missionaries are Rev. & Mrs. Joel Awolola.
People Group: Igbo
- To reach 15, 000 souls among the target people Groups within 5 years through different outreachesprogrammes (Film, medical, witnessing, crusade etc). At least 2 outreach programmes in a month.
- Establishment of regular Discipleship programmes and literacy classes in all the existing Churches.
- Planting of 4 model Churches in these locations, Ihiala, Uli, Nsugbe and Oko
- Establishment of a clinic at Okija
- Establishment of a Nursery and Primary School at Okija
- Training of 5 indigenous Pastors from the major tribes we are targeting.
How You Can Be Involved
- Prayer support for the missionary couples, mission pastors and all the people on the field.
- Praying to break the barriers of immorality, idolatry, spiritual blindness and setbacks.
- Training of indigenes in our theological institutions
- Provision of mission vehicles e.g. Jeep or other vehicle for missionary and pastors
- Provision of evangelism equipments
- Mothering/adoption of our churches and pastors
- Purchase of land in Awka, Nnewi, Ihiala, Mgbidi. The range for a plot of land is between N2.5m – 3.5m.
- Building of a mission house, clinic, school or vocational centre on a vast landed property in Awka.